Our school was built in 1915 by the brothers of the De La Salle order. Under the influence of the educational ideologies of Jean De La Baptiste, the school was specifically opened to teach the boys of the Castletown area in the town of Dundalk. Over the years the enrolments in the school grew to a point where the De La Salle Brothers offered secondary education upstairs in the school building. While the school was indeed a primary school it also had a secondary top aspect to it as well. The school continued to offer both primary and secondary education until 1978 when the De La Salle college was opened to cater solely for the secondary education of the pupils. The brothers of the De La Salle order continued in the school until the early 1990's when the first lay Principal took charge of the school on behalf of the Board of Management.
St. Jean De La Baptiste